Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Here's a story my father told me, I think the story dates from somewhere in the 50's.

My grandfather used to be a baker and he had a little shop where he sold his bread and other things. My grandfather didn't have the bakery anymore when I grew up, so I can't remember anything from it but I do remember my father telling me that when a baby was born in the village, my grandfather baked a bread with a pair of tiny wooden shoes in it as a surprise for the new parents.

But back to my story.

There was a farmers couple living in the village and they were very cheap.
Instead of putting sugar in their coffee they put peels from the very sweet apples they had in it.
The woman used to buy a large bag of sweets once a week and when children bought a loaf of bread at my grandfather's shop, which cost 22 cents at the time, they usually payed with a quarter (25 cents) and they went to the couples house to buy sweets of the remaining 3 cents.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Found this old article and I was wondering something...

They call men who wear make-up "genderbenders". As to say: because they're wearing make-up, they're bending towards being ...